I always describe my father as a mountain man.  Growing up, even though he worked as a software engineer and had multiple hobbies, such as airplanes and occasionally vegetable & fruit gardening, his main interest, outside of being a great dad, centered around the outdoors.  From him I had the opportunities to experience fishing, rock climbing, hiking, mountain climbing, canyoneering, boogie boarding, skiing, dog sledding, glissading, caving, and how to light a proper camp fire in a variety of ways. 


Honestly, besides the beauty and appeal of the outdoors, I must attribute my whole love of the woods, rivers, deserts, coastlines, mountains, and caves to my father.  I slept under the safety of a tent at times, under the stars at other times, and even in a snow cave or the roots of a tree for the sheer experience of it, all because my father was determined to get out and knew his kids needed to learn to love the outdoors as well.


Because of him, even now when I am taking care of two very young kids and feel overwhelmed by them half the time, I still secretly plan hikes and outings.  Once in a while I decide to just 'inflict joy' upon my own family and force the whole lot of us into the outdoors last minute, whether there be sun or rain or snow.  Sometimes outings don't happen unless you just go!  That was another thing I learned from my father; sometimes you come up with the idea to go on a hike and throw everything in the car to leave in the same day, otherwise it may only ever be one more opportunity to make life great set aside for the mundane.

I've found that cleaning will always be needed, work will always be calling, but the time spent in the outdoors is never regretted.  Even if a day in the mountains ends up horrible it still beats a day in an office or washing the bazillionth load of laundry.  Trust me.  Just go on a hike.  It makes life feel better.

Too often I dream of throwing all my worries aside just to hike and paint in the wilds day after day, but I chose a path that put responsibilities on me that make running off into the wild blue yonder rather difficult.  At times I think about heading out with my young children on hikes; it's not a bad idea, and I think being outside is wonderful for them, but at the same time my anxiety gets the better of me more than I wish it would, and I get nervous about the fights to get ready and the grumpiness from being tired on the ride home.  

You other parents out there, how have you managed to get your kids into the outdoors more often?  Got any hints or tricks up your sleeves that seem to make the trips more enjoyable?  I could use the help!

Anyways, when I do think about getting back into hiking condition, mainly getting my feet to not have planter fasciitis, I often think about the trails and old goals I have floating at the edges of my anxious, taxed mind.  I thought that maybe I would write down a few of those 'Dream Hikes' here.  There are several hikes that I'd really love to go on outside of my Dream Hikes, and the list is always growing, especially since I use the AllTrails App to discover new places and keep my favorites organized, but my Dream Hikes are the ones that I know I can do, but require preparation, a chunk of time, and freedom from pressing responsibilities.

The first would have to be the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT).  It is HUGE and covers most of my favorites types of terrain; mountains, woods, rivers, and lots of misty, rainy, snowy places!  I will never not love the Pacific Northwest because of that.  Plus, the amount of time spent in the outdoors, being able to photograph and plein air paint my way from south to north is overwhelmingly tempting.  On top of that, I have a fondness for the desert as well, and enjoy visiting it, but not living in it, so a thru-hike would be perfect.



The second hike I would love to do is not as ambitious as the PCT, but is plenty long; the John Muir Trail is absolutely stunning with a mix of rock landscapes, scraps of forest and lakes all sitting high up in the mountains.  I think I could stay there and paint for forever.  Luckily, if I ever get around to doing the PCT it will include the John Muir Trail.



The third hike I'd have to put in there is the Grand Loop or Deer Park Loop in the Olympic National Park.  I have always been in love with the Olympic National Park and have done, I think, the majority of my hiking there with family.  There are so many wonderful places in the world, but I'd be content to live on the edge of the Olympics, a step out my back door and onto the trails.  I'd never need to go elsewhere.  This loop is a great opportunity to prepare for even larger hikes like the John Muir trail and the PCT.  It is what my dreams are made of.


The fourth hike I would have to say is actually not a hike at all, but an area to explore.  I've been to the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest and hiked Ingalls Creek Trail, but there is so much more to discover there and heading north into the North Cascades.  The areas are pristine, the mountains rather gnarly, and the views to die for.  They remind me of the Olympics and make me curious to adventure a bit further into them.  I would especially love to break into The Enchantments and spend a week up there!



There are a number of smaller hikes that I have logged away as well; the Hoh River Trail in the Olympics again, the Rogue River Trail in southern Oregon, some of the one day hikes along the coastlines as well. Several smaller ones, mostly throughout the Pacific Northwest, but they play on my mind, begging to be hiked, or mountains to be climbed.  There is a part of me that strongly wishes to dedicate myself to these places, to these activities, and trying to find the balance between those cravings, the other desires I have in life, and my current important responsibilities.


Right now getting around to my Dream Hikes is tough, I have set them aside for the most part and am busy diverting my attention to more local areas, mainly the mountains near Ogden and Salt Lake City.  There are plenty of lovely places here and hiking, rock climbing, and mountain climbing, plus winter sports, are all very prevalent in the area I noticed.  My hope is to create a new habit of not letting my anxiety and exhaustion hold me back from taking my kids out to explore as well; they need the experience, I need the freedom, and we all need exercise, including the dog!   

No comments