Who else has a giant stack of art books just chilling next to their work station?  I must admit, mine is not the largest, nor is it all limited editions, hard bounds, or every artist I’d love to have a collection of works from in book form, but I’m sure it’s on its way to being impressive!  Some people have a library full of art books; books that showcase a specific artist, that exhibit a number of artists that have worked together on a project, or that tell a story.  Books that illustrate step by step processes, or others that share tutorials and information for educational purposes.  And of course you can’t forget the annuals!

The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook & The Hobbit Sketchbook by Alan Lee, A Middle Earth Traveler by John Howe

I’m sure there are many more types of art books out there, one’s I haven’t discovered yet, but I have, what I think of as, an unhealthy obsession for collecting art books; I want to collect them, and I use the ones I have frequently, as if referring to a textbook for guidance.  Most I collect because I admire and desire to understand the artists’ processes, to glean what I can from seeing their images without having to dig on the internet constantly.  There are so many beautiful methods to drawing, painting, designing, creating, and for those that pull me in I tend to lose my responsible side and snatch up the book(s), as quick as I can!  This is where the unhealthy side comes in; without regard to finances, (which I’m usually pretty strict about…), or cost, if I find an illustrator/artist who I want to learn from, or wish to place their artwork in my home, I will inevitably look to see if they have an art book or two.  And let me inform you, there is a growing list of artists who’s art books I am determined to add to my collection! 

Does anyone else have this problem?  It’s almost as bad an addiction as my cravings for chocolate.


Faeries of the Faultlines by Iris Compiet

So I’m a collector of sorts; I find the artists, buy the books, study the books, and guard them from my family as if they are a precious, fragile china dish set.  I spend money on them, time on them, I appreciate them to the point that they become like friends to me, the only ones in my home that understand my love for the arts. 


Quick story; when moving into our first house my husband and I began to unpack everything while my two young boys ran around the house, bumping into things and playing in the empty boxes like mice that had eaten some caffeine laced cheese.  For the most part I was happy, organizing, figuring out where things would go, and not worried too much about the chaos occurring around me; I was used to it.

Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter by James Gurney

Then, after figuring out most of the kitchen and feeding my kiddos, I walked into our office/studio room.  My husband and I like each other a lot.  We love to work around each other and casually chat throughout the day so we enjoy sharing a work space.  However, as I watched him begin to pull out my art books and start stacking them under my desk in a chaotic fashion I just about lost my cool.  Nothing had bothered me until that point, but for some reason the fact that someone else was messing with my art supplies, throwing them quickly into a convenient spot where he thought they could sit long term…on the floor…where my kids could reach them…on the DUSTY and DIRTY floor…

Descants & Cadences by Stephanie Law

I remember spluttering, my eyes going wide as I squeezed my hands open and closed in an anxious manner.  My poor husband just sat there on the ground, art books in hand and lap, with a perplexed look on his face.  He had no idea, there was really no reason why he should be worried about moving the art books, he was just trying to help out with the unpacking.  With careful control over my temper, (I have been named ‘hot blooded’ a few times in my life for a reason), I did my best to explain to him why I didn’t want him touching my art books or art supplies, not that I had any problem with him looking through them, I just didn’t want him to ‘organize’ them.  He thought I had lost my mind with how shook up I was about my books being messed with.  No other stack of books (which there are many in my home), had brought on such emotion, so I told myself again; he was just trying to help and I needed to be patient.  I explained again that they were special to me and I didn’t want other’s messing with them, especially since the children could reach the books where he was placing them.  It took a few moments, I don’t think he understood my reasoning, but in the end the fact that I would care for my art things and I didn’t want others touching them was enough for him. 

Goblin Market by Omar Rayyan

The whole situation was silly; yes his placement of the books on the floor was not the wisest, yes I over reacted quite a bit, even I recognized that at the time, but for some reason I have this clingy love of my art books and at the time of moving into a new home AGAIN, I needed to know I had control over my art supplies.

Middle-Earth: Visions of a Modern Myth by Donato Giancola

You can laugh all you want, you probably think I need a therapist or someone if I’m so obsessed with something so simple, I don’t mind it at all.  My love of my art books is a little overdose, but don’t we all have something so important to us that we don’t want others messing it up or moving it a ‘bout?  Do you know what yours is?

Master of Light by Vladimir Volegov

For now, mine are my art books.  They make me happy by bringing up old memories, stories, thoughts, almost like autumn nostalgia.  They help to collect the artwork I love without having to spend the same amount of money on prints or originals (I would DIE to have own originals throughout my house!), and they help me learn as I discover my own art processes and style.


Art book suggestion: My most recently acquired art books are a set from Petar Meseldzija ; as I explore more into the world of oil painting and understanding how different individuals use the medium I find that it has more to do with the lighting, colors, and design than how loose or tight an image is.  Petar is a great example of that as he jumps between a looser look and a tighter look at times.  Also these books have excellent examples of work processes and preparation, which I enjoy very much!


Perhaps at some point, when I feel my artwork is of high enough quality and there is enough interest in it, I might even get around to making an art book of my own illustrations.  I have a ways to go though, and a lot of art to create!  

Time to get back to work!
      

 

No comments