A few posts back I mentioned how difficult 'special days' seem to be in our home, and how I am trying to make things better; keep the day calm, find some patience, take time for fun things, be more flexible with the kids, be more willing to teach gently, and show my husband some extra kindness. I think I'm failing in some of those areas. And now comes the biggest of all the 'special days'; 

Christmas.


I have so many fond memories of Christmas's past, of family moments and traditions, of enjoying the familiar visits and comfy relaxation, and of course the good food and the excitement that comes on Christmas day. Even though my siblings and myself were all a little rough around the edges I remember nerf gun battles and racing cars, playing in snow and sharing new toys and foods. I look back on those days fondly, the feelings in those memories are strong, even though I know it wasn't all beauty and love. There were a lot of angry, crazy, confusing times too, but some how my parents made it special still.


I want that for my family too, but I'm really having to fight to accomplish that feeling. Focusing on Jesus' birth and the love of our Savior really helps; it helps to remember why we give presents, why we buy our tree and put a star on it, why the decorations that focus on Him and family, why we celebrate Christmas at all. It is His birthday, and the birthday of the only person capable of offering to us eternal salvation. Salvation from the pain, from anger, from loneliness and hurt, from wrongs inflicted by others or from ourselves, and from confusion and sorrow. Remembering these things, focusing on them, and helping my children understand why we celebrate Christmas helps it become more special than any present ever could.




I know some of the people that read this are not religious in the same way that I am, and I respect that and however they choose to celebrate Christmas, but I would like them to understand me at least and why it's important to me that I celebrate and think of Christmas the way I do; I believe Christmas is the birthday, (not the literal day but the day we celebrate), of Jesus Christ; the only person that has made it possible for me to be with my family after death, to be with them, continuing those happy traditions and moments, for forever! That is why it is important to me, because my family is that important to me, and so I celebrate Him, my Savior.

I will continue to "fight the good fight" to make Christmas special, to make it full of good moments and love. Despite my shortcomings and weaknesses, I will reach out to others and share what love I have to give, and I will try to make Christmas special for other's around me. I don't always have energy to go shopping, to write personal letters to each individual; honestly I find just getting Christmas cards out very difficult! But what energy I do have I will try to use in the most effective ways to make this holiday season worth remembering, that perhaps I will not let others go feeling forgotten, or lonely, even if I cannot take away their pains, sorrows, or fix their own trials, at the least I can try to make sure they don't feel forgotten. Which is saying something with my terrible memory!

I love all you wonderful weirdos! I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

No comments