I know I shared this to Instagram and Facebook already, but felt it was appropriate to make a post of it. I can not emphasize how much I love Autumn!

Some time ago, while on a mission for my church in Brazil, I wrote in my journal about my love of Autumn, about the way I feel during the seasonal changes towards winter. I wanted to share a condensed version here, seeing as these same feelings have began warming my heart and making it race lately;

"Yesterday we went to the temple in Porto Alegre. While I was there the most wonderful feeling came over me; inside the temple the air was so nice and cold and it gave me the same feeling as when the autumn is coming on and it leaves an excited, happy sensation inside of me. reminded me about when I'm at home with my mother, or step mother, and all the leaves of the trees have fallen or are falling, and I'm wrapped up in a blanket watching a movie or reading a book. Memories of my step-mother popped into my mind; in her decorated mommy sweaters making food in the kitchen on a cold Sunday afternoon. My dad in his mountain style sweater getting ready to play a game of risk with my brothers. They always did love playing games with him.


I remember tucking my toes underneath our dog Nana's body as she would sleep so they would stay warm. I would pray every year for snow so that I could watch it fall outside of the windows. If we had snow then the streets would be clear of people and all the shops would close up; no one where I live knows how to drive in the snow. I remember the peace and quiet. Sometimes we would gather all the leaves up and play with the dogs in them. There would be pumpkins growing on the side of the house for Halloween as well and I loved taking pictures of them. I also loved how the trees changed colors; bright reds, oranges, and yellows seemed to brighten up our city right before the eminent sleep that comes with winter. But it was beautiful, in a haunting way; the deadened look of the forests with that cold air passing through and the utter silence that comes with it.
I remember my biological mother's house and walking back into the country side for forever with all those trees and their silent whispers all around me. The dogs would run by my side as we explored deer trails and I would take pictures of the mushrooms and ferns popping up from under the leaves and snow patches. I still love capturing the tiny details of life.


One of the other things that I remember very well is the wood burning stove in her house. I love the feeling of just sitting and drawing, or reading a book, with the heat and glow of a fire near by. I would sleep in that living room with the fire going almost all night long.
I remembered all of these things, these feelings while I was in the temple, and it gave me such a wonderful experience. Something that I have realized though is that the majority of these good feelings were when I was with family in peaceful, happy moments. The fall and winter seasons brings everyone together; the cold forces us to bundle up more in our homes, which allows those happy memories to be created."
- February 26th 2012

I hope I will be able to carry all these feelings and traditions into my own home so that I can continue to live them, but also so that my own children will have similar good experiences to cherish throughout their lives.
What are some of your fondest memories of Autumn? Are there any specific smells, tastes, weather, music, etc., that just brings back all of those fond memories? I would love to hear about them!
I think I'll dedicate some time to Autumn this season.
 

No comments